Top Nav Bar

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kara Lucas, YA Writer

I was a very prolific writer as a kid, especially the fifth and sixth grade. My teacher in sixth grade, Mrs. Dann, saw a young girl with a love for reading, writing, and creativity and was an infinite source of encouragement for me. She gave me an award for being the best writer in class, the Wonderful Pen that year, and told me that one day I would be a great published writer.

Fast forward many years. I still loved to read, wrote copious amounts of words in my many journals, but the dream to write faded, much like other dreams one has when they are young. Doesn't make enough money, said my mom.

But then, after marriage and kids and a career in social work and many an evening spent behind the pages of a book, wishing that I was the one who had crafted that story, I took a leap of faith, and wrote a page. And another. And another, until I had myself a book. Then I started to think that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to make a go out of this writing thing, and joined a critique group, and dragged my two very talented nieces along as writerly companions. That was a year ago.

Currently I have been querying my manuscript, FINDING PONY, and at the moment I have a couple agents I am talking to, so hopefully my next post will be about how I got my agent! Oh, and I write Young Adult fiction--mainly contemporary, and leaning towards issue-driven, at least for now. I have fallen in love with the Young Adult genre--the sheer creativity, the support, the plethora of amazing current YA authors out there right now.

It's a great time to be a writer. I'm so happy I started with that first page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Footer

All content © Scriptor Familia